A paid opportunity to assist on a Young Vic show
Learning from experienced artists by assisting is a vital chance to develop skills and understanding. Equally, having the chance to spend time in a theatre and understand how the various departments work together is also an important aspect of an artist's knowledge. Each year we provide five assistantships which include a residency at the Young Vic and an attachment to a production. The scheme will include:
- An assistantship on a Young Vic production or co-production
- A two-week tailored placement observing day to day running of the theatre, attending planning and management meetings and spending time in departments such as marketing, production and development
- The opportunity to devise and lead two peer-led projects for the Genesis Network
Each assistant will receive a fee to cover their placement and assistantship on a production.
Recent Jerwood Assistant Directors include:
- Annie Kershaw (Best of Enemies)
- Zoe Templeman-Young (Hamlet)
- Tian Brown-Sampson (Further than the Furthest Thing)
- Caroline Yu (untitled f*ck m*ss s**gon play)
- Ellis (Beneatha's Place)
We are currently recruiting a Jerwood Assistant Director on Nachtland by Marius von Mayenburg, translated by Maja Zade, directed by Patrick Marber. For more information, please click the button at the bottom of this page.
Assistantships are a key part of the Young Vic’s Jerwood Artist Development Pathway. This Pathway is generously supported by the Jerwood Developing Artists Fund.